However long you’ve been smoking, it’s never too late to become a healthier and happier you without cigarettes and vapes. Read below about some simple things you can do now to give you a better chance at giving up for good.
Make a quit plan
Having a plan in place to help you quit makes it easier for you. Try to keep an open mind and know that you’re doing the best you can to improve your health.
Set a quit date
When preparing to quit, it’s common to set a ‘quit date’. Make sure it’s realistic, and then stick to it. This will give you the greatest chance of success. You can set a quit date when you sign up to start your quit journey.
Before your quit date
- Learn your triggers and why you smoke.
- Brainstorm activities to do instead.
- Choose which quit methods to use.
- Write down reasons for quitting, then keep them in view.
- Find a ‘Quit Buddy’, and encourage and support each other.
- Tell everyone you’re quitting and that you’ll need their support.
- Throw out cigarettes, lighters, ashtrays, vaping products and e-liquids from your house, car and workplace.
- Set step-by-step goals and rewards for not smoking
Use this checklist to keep your plan on track
- I've bought quit products.
- I know how to use the quit products.
- I've saved the Quitline number.
- I've scheduled my counselling appointments or calls.
- I've thrown away all lighters, cigarettes, ashtrays, vaping products and e-liquids.
Start your quit journey
Sign up to start your quit journey on Quit HQ.