Prepare for situations that may trigger the urge to smoke
Some situations are risky as they can trigger the urge to smoke. These could include your morning coffee, a lunch break with some co-workers, or time spent with friends in the evening. For many smokers, drinking and cigarettes go hand in hand.
As much as you may want to smoke at these times, remember the reasons you quit. If you plan ahead of time, you’ll be more prepared when someone offers you a cigarette.
Tips to stay strong in uncomfortable situations
- Change what you’re doing, go for a walk, talk to a friend.
- Carry nicotine replacement gum, lozenges or spray.
- Have a friend to help keep you on track during the night.
- Cut out alcohol if it means you’ll be smoking.
- Carry a list of reasons you quit so you can refer to it.
- Go to the bathroom, wet your face and take deep breaths.