Learn from slip-ups
If you slip up and have a cigarette or puff on a vape, you can learn from the experience. Don’t use your energy on self-blame. Think about how you can improve your quit plan and use new strategies. Remember why you quit and get back on track.
Some tips if you slip-up
- Commit to not smoking for the next 24 hours and make a plan.
- Use nicotine replacement products to ease cravings.
- Change your habits and find new ways to enjoy yourself.
- Use techniques to manage stress, and be kind to yourself.
- Avoid alcohol.
- See yourself as a non-smoker and non-vaper.
- If your friends smoke, let them know that you really need their support and ask them not to offer you cigarettes or vapes.
- Throw out any cigarettes, vapes and vaping liquids, even if you just bought them.
- Know that ‘just one’ cigarette or puff can lead to a lifetime of smoking, and don’t make excuses to smoke again.
- Call Quitline on 13 78 48 for support.
If you do start again
You may be disappointed in yourself, but you’re the same strong person that decided to quit. And you can do it again and learn from your mistakes. So don’t feel discouraged. Next time will be different. Make a plan now to quit again.